WHO IS THE COURSE DESIGNED FOR
This course is designed for project managers, senior engineers and persons who are, or are about to be, responsible for planning, organising, monitoring, controlling and administering groups of staff and workforce.
The course covers all relevant legislation and other aspects which affect safe working in the building, construction and civil engineering industries. It highlights the need for risk assessment in the workplace, the implementation of the necessary control measures and adequate communication to sustain a health and safety culture in the workforce.
To help site managers, agents, and supervisors to:
- Manage health and safety on site following current legal provisions, and within the context of their management or supervisory role
- Develop an understanding of responsibilities and accountability for site health, safety, and welfare
- Recognise a safe site is efficient, economical and productive.
At the end of the period of training, the delegate will be aware of, and able to:
- Implement all health, safety, welfare and environmental legislation which affects them during their daily work
- Implement new guidance and industry best practice
- State their duties and responsibilities with regards to health, safety, welfare and the environment.
The examination paper is compulsory and consists of 25 questions selected by CITB covering all aspects of the course. The examination pass mark is 80% (28 out of 35).
The paper consists of 20 multiple choice questions and five short written question. There are five safety critical questions in each exam paper. The delegate must get all 5 of these questions correct to pass the exam.
Where a delegate has achieved 70% in the core exercises and the trainer’s review, and gained between 71%-77% (25-27 out of 35) in the examination or has achieved the 80% pass rate but failed the safety critical questions, the delegate may re-sit the test. The test can either be on the same day or by resitting the exam by attending another course on the final day within a 90-day period (the delegate is not obliged to re-do the day’s session). o99 Training Academy must make the arrangements with the delegate and ensure that the same examination paper is not used twice.
When a delegate scores less than 69% (24 correct answers out of 35) in the final examination, the delegate must attend the full SMSTS course again before they can re-sit the test.